Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Really Great Phone Call

Yesterday, I decided to make chicken noodle soup for dinner and I never make that soup without making my grandmother’s homemade noodles.

It makes all the difference.

Making noodles is a messy job, and while I was in the middle of it, the house phone rang. The house phone is a line we NEVER answer. I mean it, never. It seems to be a magnet for telemarketers so we know that anyone who needs to talk to us calls our cell phones. The house phone is basically there for emergencies.

While covered in flour, rolling out dough and stopping my 2 year old from sprinkling the house plants with powder, my husband decided he was going to answer that phone. I heard him talking and asking questions about who it was and then I hear:


“Oh cool.Yes! She’s right here.” and he handed the phone to me. 

I mouthed out the words “Who is it?” and my husband told me it was someone about the Laffey.

My Grandfather, 17 years old.
In case you don't know, I made a documentary a few years back about my grandfathers ship in WWII, The USS Laffey. The small destroyer survived a Kamikaze attack near Okinawa that should have sank the ship.

But, it didn’t.

My grandfather survived and because of that, I’m able to sit here right now, drinking my coffee and share this story. 

I put the phone to my ear and said “Hello?”

The man on the other end was a survivor of that day in April 16th, 1945.  A friend of his, who had heard about the documentary, found out he was on the Laffey and ordered him a copy. He watched it and was so thankful, he had to call me in person.

It took him a year to get a hold of me. Yes, you read that right, a year. 

Because we never answer that phone.

With my flour covered apron on, noodles half rolled out and the kitchen table covered in flour and dough, I simply walked out of the room with the phone to my ear. I went to the office and sat down with pen and paper and wrote down everything I could from our conversation.

My husband did a a great job keeping the little ones away from me while I talked on the phone. As hungry as they all were, they waited patiently...or at least as patient as a 7, 5 and 2 year old can wait.
I’m going to call this man James. It’s not his real name, but when I told him I wanted to write about this conversation, he politely asked me to not give him any notoriety and keep him out of it....so I will.

James is originally from Texas and was 16 when he quit High School to enlist in the Navy. Young, yes, but his mother signed the papers for him.

“Back in my day, we were all very patriotic. It was a different time. We were all ready to go.” he explained through a smile I could hear.

Take a good look at the 16 year old boys around you and imagine them enlisting to go to war. Mothers, would you be signing for your 16 year old to enlist?
James is right...it’s a different time.

He said he took a train from Texas to San Diego, California for what little basic training they could give him before they sent him to war....and send him to war, they did. He had just turned 17, barely finished basic training and was sent to The Laffey.

James could tell me his location on the ship and he knows he didn't get hurt, but other than that, his memory doesn't go much farther. He said that he knew he turned it all off when he left The Laffey in Seattle, due to the things he saw.

He remembers that.
The USS Laffey at Patriot's Point today


He married several years after departing and never even told his wife he was in WWII. They had a daughter and it was only after James and his wife divorced and he shared some with his adult daughter, that his first wife ever found out anything about The Laffey.

I know this to be true about a lot of WWII vets...what they witnessed was terrible. My own grandfather, telling me the story 60 years later, brought him to tears. My own grandfather didn’t give his family the details because of what he saw. My own grandfather was also 17, fighting in a war where he saw his own friend “burned to a crisp,” beyond recognition.

My grandfather survived....as did James.

By the grace of God, the complete miracle of protection with loving hands, the ship survived and generations went on. I’m one of them.

James stayed in the reserves after he got out. He finished High School and was two years into college before he was called back. He proudly served in the Korean War as well. After leaving the military, he spent 30 years working for the government and retired. He’s spent the last 23 years in the mountains and living alone. He said it’s been the happiest time of his life, being away from busy life.

I am so thankful my husband answered that phone. I thanked him repeatedly. Not only that, but when I hung up with James and came into the kitchen, the noodles were done! My husband and my son finished rolling them out and cut them all up by hand.

And the generations continue.



3 comments:

  1. It's a great story! I wonder how many more men there are like "James"...

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are plenty Mary. God orchestrated that phone call completely, as both the plans I had with the kids, and my husband's hockey game were cancelled. We were all home on a night we shouldn't have been!

      Delete
    2. I am touched and I know a special man whowas on the Laffey and heard every detail of his experience.

      Delete