Thursday, February 21, 2013

An Email Even Better Than The Call!

I sent a link of my previous post to "James" yesterday. Here's the email I received today:

Jessica,
Thanks for sending me the blog.  Very nice and
it was touching.
About 3 months ago I saw the PBS special on the
Dust Bowl--it was during the time I was born.  Not
only the Dust Bowl, but the Depression was in full
bloom.  I realized at the time that the real heroes of
that time were the mothers who were single and had
to raise their children alone.
My mother was divorced when I was 4 years old.
Imagine what it must have been like.  She worked for
the Bell Telephone Co, who paid extremely low wages.
I never really appreciated how she did it.  She  also
convinced me to go back and finish high school.
When I got home after WWII I bought a bike and worked for
a year--She got me to sell the bike and finish high
school and apply for the GI Bill.  I don't  think children really
appreciate what parents do for them until they get
older and have children of their own. I do know that she must
have been extremely apprehensive all the time I was in the
war.
The one thing I regret is that I never took the time to tell her how
much I appreciated her. She died at 84.
I again thank you.

"James"

No comments:

Post a Comment