Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bringing Religion Into It



This week, I commented on a friend’s status on Facebook. The status basically said something about their concern for their children’s well being when Christmas rolls around and suddenly presents come out of nowhere.

Completely logical concern. Absolutely. I think most caring, loving parents think about the ramifications of large amounts of gift giving for no apparent reason. This is why I wanted to post something to let my friend know that I don’t believe Christmas is a time to just give gifts. There is a reason to give gifts. We give gifts to celebrate life. 

To paraphrase my comment to their post, it went something like this, “Jesus Christ is the reason for the season.”  I wrote a small paragraph and I did mention Jesus Christ….and, of course, panties were bunched.

I cannot mention Jesus on anything without causing a problem. If I had said I thank God for Christmas….or I thank God for all my blessings….it may have been left alone…maybe. But, dare I say Jesus, and someone wants to argue with me every time. I’ve offended someone. Someone wants to start a fight, and can I just say that this is the real reason Jesus was crucified?! It does not matter if you are Christian or not, Jesus Christ was a person who walked this Earth and was killed for claiming he was God. Mentioning his name then meant persecution. Times have not changed.

Here is the reply to what I wrote:
(I have no idea who the person is who posted this, but since it’s on Facebook…I have no problems sharing it here.)

"Ummm what?!? Since we're bringing religion into this... Christian's took Yule from the pagans to use as Jesus' month of birth rather than the more true date. St. Nick and Jesus were merely put in as placeholders with the Romanization of Britain."

After reading this reply, I decided to take a moment, refresh myself on what the history of Christmas is and then respond. You see, I have a degree in Religious Studies….so as I, myself, choose to be Christian, I have in fact studied many, many other religions. Way back when….in a time before children, I went to College. So, I too, like many Athiests, and Agnostics, consider myself to be a bright individual.

I do not consider myself brainwashed. Let me say that again….I do not consider myself brainwashed. I have a very well rounded education…I did not grow up in Church. We went to Church on Christmas and Easter….that’s it. This is a choice based on experience, emotion and education.

So, as an educated person, I looked into what this Facebook reply said and refreshed my memory on Christmas, Santa Claus and the glorious pile of presents we so willingly give our children on Christmas morning. 

No Christian should ever argue the fact that Jesus Christ was NOT born on December 25th. He was more likely to have been born in the springtime when the weather was better, seeing as though a 14 year old girl gave birth to him outside. And not only that, but based on the life and death of King Herod, Jesus’ birth is probably off by about 4-5 years. This is common knowledge.

Winter Solstice, the middle of winter, has been a time of celebration forever.  In Europe, light and birth were celebrated in the dark of winter. The Scandinavians celebrated Yule from December 21 into January. Romans observed Juvenalia…Germans honored the pagan god Oden…and so it goes. Throughout history, winter was a great time to celebrate life, food, love and, well…..blessings.

In A.D. 525 Dionysius, a Greek scholar dedicated the end of December to celebrate Jesus’ birth, since his death was already known and Easter was already being celebrated. The Pope did not want two holidays celebrated so closely together, so the traditional Christmas date was born…pun totally intended. 


Turns out, St. Nick was an amazing man……who was Christian and wanted to be like…..wait for it…Jesus Christ. St. Nick was born to wealthy Christians. He was young when his parents died and left him their inheritance. He lived by Jesus’ words, "sell what you own and give the money to the poor." St. Nick, who became Bishop Nicholas, left a legacy after his death. This legacy evolved and spread into the Santa Claus we know here in America.




In the end, I deleted my original comment to this friend’s post, due to not wanting to take over their facebook page for a religious debate.

I think it’s absolutely absurd that I be called out for “bringing religion into this” as if I’m trying to start a fight…as if I’m some dumb Christian who’s trying to turn everybody Christian. As if I'm saying something that isn't true. The modern world celebrates Christmas because of the birth of Jesus Christ….IT IS A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY!!!!!!!

You’re darn right I’ll bring religion into it.

6 comments:

  1. Absoultely brilliant commentary, Jessica. Good for you. And from all us Christians, thanks for saying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, there are those who want to take "Christ" out of Christmas. Never let 'em get you down. Lovely post, I learned quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!YES!YES! Thank you, Jess! I, too, learned from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you girl- it is such a shame that we live in a culture where using the name of Jesus as anything but a curse is questioned,(nee. almost persecuted). This country was founded on the fact that we all should have the freedom to worship as we wanted,( or not worship,if that is your choice). But in an attempt to be politically correct, we can no longer mention Jesus, as we might offend someone. Oh, Please!
    Christmas is about the birth of Christ-as you said, Jesus is the reason, but too much of the world have decided that it is a time to party and give gifts and forget the reason that it has existed for hundreds of years.
    Right now I am also thinking of our friends who are celebrating another holiday that falls during this time of the year, Hanukkah,and who have been persecuted for their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete