Friday, November 12, 2010

Gobble Gobble

There are a few jobs in this world that I have a hard time understanding. I don’t have a hard time understanding the job; I just can’t understand why people would do them. Let’s take the Esthetician, for example. This person, by choice, goes into the most secret parts of your body to remove hair. Why on Earth would someone want to do this? Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful….and in awe, but concerned for their well-being. Also, how does one become ok with the task of pulling up a shoulder length rubber glove and inseminating livestock by hand? I have nothing further to add to that.

There is…on my list of crazy, insane and most of the time necessary jobs, one job in particular I stand in deep respect for. My heart aches for the love the people who do this job have for life…or the caring of the end of it, rather.

The Hospice Nurse.

Tell me, please, how can a person possess so much kindness as to partake in the comforting of loved ones in the end times of a cherished person? How can those sweet angels of people do this job again, even after experiencing one single death? Because, I have to tell you, once was enough for me. One death was enough for me to witness, to know I don’t ever, ever want to witness another.

I know this is impossible. I am young, and I am guaranteed to lose more loved ones. And the truth of the matter is, is that I felt honored to be there with my mother as she passed. It was terrible, and traumatic in many ways, but I wouldn’t have been anywhere else than at her side.

Maybe this is how Hospice sees it? I don’t know, but whoever started Hospice care, was an intensely caring human being. Without our Hospice nurse, the end of my mother’s life…well, I don’t even want to think about how it would have gone without them involved. Thank you Hospice.

Obviously my mother is the reason I started The Rose Run, and a major sponsor of The Rose Run is helping to put on a run this Thanksgiving to raise money for Hospice. Dave’s Performance Footgear is sponsoring a “Turkey Trot” that has been going on for over 20 years in Toledo…and all I’m going to say, is you should do it. You should run it…walk it, get the kids to do the free fun run and encourage your family and friends to do it too. If for no other reason, than to burn a few calories before you consume the most in one meal than you had all week long.

The Smoke The Turkey Trot has fantastic prizes for top finishers and Schmucker’s pies for those who place in their age group. I don’t know about you, but if I won a pie after a race, I’d be eating it with my fingers in the car at 10am on the way home.

This cause is so worth it, and if I were there, you’d see me bundled up running….well, jogging, due to the massive amount of weight stuck on me post baby. (Forget what you read about the pie in the previous paragraph) But I’d be there. Oh, and one more thing...there is a prize for the best dressed Ohio Sate Fan or Michigan Fan! Run sporting your Maize and Blue....or those other colors.

Go for a run this Thanksgiving for those amazing people of Hospice.

For more information and to register online, visit
http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventDetails.aspx?fEID=6713






You can also email me at jessica@theroserun.com and I can send you a paper form to print and mail in or take with you Thanksgiving morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment