Friday, September 28, 2012

Compassion Assignment # 4 - Letter

Join the Compassion Blogger Network
 
pov·er·ty
[pov-er-tee]
noun
1. the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; 
condition of being poor. Synonyms: privation, neediness, destitution, indigence, 
pauperism, penury. Antonyms: riches, wealth, plenty.


Basically, poverty can be defined as the lack of things which are required by the human being to survive. You know...having no food, water...shelter. Oh, and medical help. Let’s throw education into that list as well. Now, I’m not saying that all humans who are currently living in poverty are in such dire needs, but I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest most are.

This weeks Compassion Assignment was to write a letter as if we were the sponsored child. It’s now Friday, and I’ve been thinking all week on how to do this, and I’m not sure I can. Not even for a minute can I set myself inside the feet of a child who only knows life living in poverty. I have a hard time trying to imagine what my life would be like if I had eyes of a child and only knew insecurity.

I have no idea how hard it would be to wonder where my next meal would come from...or maybe knowing what reading and writing is, but having an understanding that I probably wouldn't learn that.

I am not sure how I would feel if I felt the love of God, but could never read His word.

You see, I have so many clothes, they are coming out of my drawers. Clothes I barely wear. I have food for myself and our family at any time we need...or want...to eat. We toss leftovers in the trash knowing there is more food where that came from. My children have the blessing to attend a school where they not only hear daily how much God loves them, a Bible is required text. If we are dirty, we take a shower...in clean water. We have shoes, electricity, automobiles, technology, education, a roof, insurance and clean clothes.

I don't think for a second, I could ever imagine what life is like from a child’s perspective who might not have anything on that list.

What I can do is put my face on the floor and thank God for the blessings He has bestowed upon our family....and ask him ‘God, what can I do?’

What can I do?

“If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear Children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth.” -1 John 3:17-18

This world is filled with children who have no idea what it's like to live outside of poverty. We have children right here in our own back yards that know this as well as children in third world countries. Compassion International is part of the answer to my question...What can I do?

Please consider sponsoring a child somewhere in the world, so they may have clothes, food and a glimpse into a life just a little bit better....so that they may see the hand of God extended to them...individually. So that they may have an actual Bible to read God’s word..so that they can learn to read at all.

Donate to Compassion International Water of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment