Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dear God; Compassion Assignment #2




I am participating in Compassion's Blog Month to help raise awareness of child sponsorship and to help with their goal of getting 3,108 children around the world sponsored. So far this month there have been 837 sponsorships! Amazing. This weeks assignment was to write a letter to God.





Dear God,

Thank you for the ability for me to see beyond myself. It’s been a long journey for me to get here, but thank you. I will keep working on it forever, I’m sure. Thank you for the gifts you have bestowed on me so that where there is a need, I can help.
Even one child.
You have told us using Matthew how important one cup of cold water is.
Just one cup.
I can do that. Lord, thank you for the ability.
Lord, I do believe its easy for us to turn a blind eye to what’s happening outside of our immediate lives...because its hard to handle the pain and suffering of others when we all have the pain right inside our own walls.
Thank you for giving me the courage to step outside and help, even in what seems to be the smallest way.
I am still trying to figure out why things happen in our world the way they do but it seems possible that those who are learning more about your grace while helping others are the ones who are actually selflessly helping.

Thank you for the gift of our sponsored child, Bryan. I’m not sure if I will ever truly be aware of his circumstances unless with my own eyes, but in the meantime, I am so grateful to be able to help in any way I'm lead.

I know he loves our letters. He tells me so. We love his too. My children ask about him frequently. Thank you for letting us in on his life.

I wish there were no needy children, and I know one day there will be a time when this wish will come true, but until then...thank you for opening my eyes, heart and home to be compassionate.

Thank you Lord.


Donate to Compassion International Water of Life

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I enjoyed reading this post. I struggled with this assignment, but hope that all of our efforts join together and that we meet the monthly goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. I had a bit of an awkward time writing to God...but it always works out, doesn't it? :)

      Delete